As a product design & development technician you’ll work on all stages of product creation and modification. You’ll work closely with engineers to bring new concepts to life or support redesigns of existing products.
Supporting all phases of a project – from early concept feasibility, design and development stages right through to final preparation for launch and customers – activities could include work in concept studios, rapid prototyping, assembly, testing, validating and analysing.
Key learning outcomes:
- Understanding mathematical techniques, formulae and calculations in a product design and development environment
- Knowledge of material applications and methods of testing (destructive and non-destructive)
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) methods and applications
- Knowledge of material joining applications and systems
- Knowledge of mechanical, electrical, electronic and process control systems
- Interpreting relevant data and documentation used in the design and development of components, assemblies and systems
- Producing components and prototypes using a wide range of hand fitting techniques
- Producing assemblies and rigs using a range of materials and techniques
- Using mechanical, electrical and electronic testing devices and equipment
- Identifying, diagnosing and rectifying design problems through the whole creation process
- Identifying possible opportunities for improving working practices, processes and/or procedures
- Personal responsibility, resilience and ethics
- Complying with health and safety guidance and procedures
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
Qualifications and certification:
Mandatory qualifications for this programme are:
- Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing & Engineering
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing & Engineering
- Level 2 Functional Skills: Maths and English (if not already held)
On completion you will be eligible to apply for professional registration as an Engineering Technician (EngTech), e.g. with the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, which will support your career development.